State Laws & Regulations in North Carolina
|Specifically permitted||Sparklers, fountains, smoke devices, snake and glow worms, trick noisemakers such as party poppers, string poppers or snappers, and toy pistol caps.|
|Specifically prohibited||Explosives or aerial fireworks, roman candles, and rockets or similar devices.|
|Age of Purchase||16 Years or older|
|Display permits||Apply to local authority. Displays must comply with NFPA 1123, NFPA 1126.|
|Insurance||Minimum of $500,000, local jurisdictions may require insurance that exceeds that amount.|
Operator Permit required. Individual must meet the following:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Possess valid ATF issued credentials.
- Have assisted in at least 3 display shows.
- Successfully completed the minimum training requirements established by the State Fire Marshal SFM).
- Successfully passed an exam approved by the SFM that illustrates individual has knowledge to safely handle, store, and exhibit 1.3G and 1.4G fireworks or provide evidence of current certification of an acceptable third party.
- Permit application fee required Permit & application fee also required for all assistants of a display show
|MANUFACTURE, STORAGE, . TRANSPORTATION||Manufacturing of fireworks not permitted.|
Office of State Fire Marshal
1202 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699-1202
Phone: 1 (800) 634-7854
|LAW NUMBER||N.C. Gen. Stat. §§ 14 -410 through 14 -415, 58 -82a -1 through 58 -82a -55 ; 11 N.C. Admin. Code 5D.0101 through 5D.0115|
American Pyrotechnics Association